March 20, 2013
Surely our griefs He Himself bore, And our sorrows He carried;
Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, Smitten of God, and afflicted.
But He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities;
The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him, And by His scourging we are healed.
All of us like sheep have gone astray, Each of us has turned to his own way;
But the Lord has caused the iniquity of us all To fall on Him.
He was oppressed and He was afflicted, Yet He did not open His mouth;
Like a lamb that is led to slaughter, And like a sheep that is silent before its shearers,
So He did not open His mouth. (Isa. 53:4-7)
At this time of the year, I find myself over and over again singing the song, “I Stand Amazed In the Presence.” Listen to these words and see if they reflect your heart during this time of the year when we think specifically about God’s gift of salvation through His Son:
I stand amazed in the presence
Of Jesus the Nazarene,
And wonder how He could love me,
A sinner, condemned, unclean.
How marvelous! O how wonderful!
And my song shall ever be:
How Marvelous! O how wonderful
Is my Savior’s love for me!
The morning has passed by quickly for me but I wanted to remind you of several matters as Metairie Baptist Church:
1. God is so incredibly good! Family Ministry Day was a blessing for all involved. Thank you to those who were able to find time in your schedule and made participating in the day a priority. I honestly believe that God not only blessed those whose lives were impacted by the ministry, but I am convinced that God likewise blessed those who did the ministry. In about three hours of time, approximately 2500 people/homes were impacted by your demonstrations of love and kindness. Thank you to the leadership team for organizing the day and allowing yourselves to be used by God. Join me in praying for the seeds of the gospel and of hope that have been planted.
2. We had a great business meeting and church council meeting on Sunday night. Again – thanks to those who braved the parade traffic to get there! We enjoyed looking at the current situation of the church and discussed the next steps of following after God. In the days ahead, you will hear more about our mission efforts to Nicaragua and possibly to Houma, our upcoming VBS, and a possible weekend Bible study emphasis. In addition, I am extremely excited about the re-formation of the Samaritan ministry. Listen for details and begin now to pray about how you can be involved in these and other ministries of MBC.
3. Our youth had a fund raiser on Sunday afternoon – parking cars for the parade. God blessed them with the opportunity to make over $1,500 which will go towards their summer at Centrifuge youth camp. This amount is in addition to the over $1,400 which was earned previously through the Jambalaya Dinner.
4. VBS plans are beginning to be made. Please pray about what God would have you do in this very important ministry. For those of you who plan ahead, you can register now for VBS by going to: http://www.metairiebc.org/vbs.html.
5. Plans are being finalized to complete the purchase of the property and for this we are thankful. We have many other reasons to rejoice – so let’s not miss the opportunity to give thanks to God for His goodness among us.
I am looking forward to the next few weeks as we continue to remember all that God has done for us through the giving of His Son, Jesus Christ, for our salvation. Easter is my favorite time of the year and I love the worship that surrounds this time.
*This Sunday morning (March 24) we will have a great time of worship. Join us in the morning service as we celebrate Palm Sunday together. Let’s celebrate the Messiah!
*Sunday night (March 24) will be a special Gathering. We will meet at 5:00 p.m. in the sanctuary to remember the last week Jesus walked upon the earth. During the service, we will be singing some of our most meaningful Easter songs about the cross and participating in the Lord’s Supper. This is going to be a great time which I believe God will use to prepare our hearts to celebrate Easter!
*On Easter Sunday, March 31, we will have Sunday School at the regular time – 9:15 a.m. –but it will be an abbreviated time. At 9:45, we will gather in the Fellowship Hall for fellowship and breakfast. This will be followed by our celebration of the resurrected Jesus during our morning worship service at 10:30.
Come ready to worship and to be a part of the ministry at each of the opportunities given to us by God at Metairie Baptist Church. Come ready as well to be ministered to as God blesses us through His working within us and through us. Don’t forget to invite your friends, family, and neighbors to all these happenings at MBC.
I am grateful for you and am praying for you.
On the journey,